Keeping accurate records was very difficult under the circumstances. Some of these figures about the casualties & dead on D-Day are therefore not accurate but rather a realistic estimate made up from several sources.
It is also important to note that casualties are not only the dead but also the wounded. The number of killed could mostly be derived from the number of killed. In most places this was about 30%. That means that if there were 100 casualties, 30 would be considered killed. The other 70% were usually considered wounded or missing.
British airborne landings
US airborne landings
Troops: The total number of troops landed by sea on D-Day until midnight.
Casualties: The number of soldiers wounded or killed.
The total number of allied casualties on D-day is, according to some, higher than the 9,000 mentioned above. There are reports that refer to ± 10,000 casualties but these have not been confirmed to this day. The exact number of casualties on D-day is also not known. But if you use the estimate of 30%, you come to a rough estimate of ± 3,000 allied deaths on D-day.
There are sources (US National D-day Memorial Foundation) that, after more accurateresearch, speak of 4,414 allied deaths on D-day. These include 2,501 from the US, 1,449 British dead, 391 Canadians and 73 from other allied countries.
Second temporary cemetery made in Colleville-sur-mer in the summer of 1944. - This cemetery was situated a little west of the present-day cemetery, which was made a few years later. - Its construction began on June 11 and the bodies were brought there on 20 July 1944 from the first temporary cemetery at the foot of the cliff between Vierville and Saint-Laurent (Dog White).
US National Archives
German casualties on D-Day
The exact number of German casualties is not yet known but is estimated to be between ± 4,000 and ± 9,000.